Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Hard Day

When I talked with John this morning, I found out that his day started out on a bummer.  One of our dogs couldn't walk.  Missy is an elderly dog, but had not shown any signs of problems the night before.

Then John's urologist called to let him know that, on yesterday's full body scans, they found two swollen lymph nodes near his liver.  One is significantly more swollen than the other.  The doctor assured John that the type of cancer he has usually doesn't spread.  But, at the same time, he needs John to talk with the liver doctor when he returns to town next week.

Missy, December 2007
As the morning progressed, Missy got worse and it was evident that something was really wrong with her.  The vet came to the house and indicated that she had had a serious stroke.  We put her down. 

We are so so sad to loose Missy.  She was a remarkably calm dog.  No one was a stranger to her as long as they would pet her.  When we got her, we were looking for a dog at our local Animal Rescue, something medium-small, short hair, low or no shed.  When we saw Missy, she put her head on my knee and looked up at me with her crystal blue "Betty Davis" eyes.  I was a goner ... no other dog could compare from then on out.  I think she chose us, vs. us choosing her.  She was the dog of my childhood dreams, albeit large, long haired, and a non-stop shedder!

We thought we were going to have to put Missy down about a year ago.  I'm so glad we got this past year as an extra gift.  Thank you John for taking such good care of her.

I've decided to get right home via the Interstates ... no more sight seeing ... currently in Missouri.

3 comments:

  1. oh, suanne! what a painful thing to experience ata time like this. you are all doubly in my prayers. dogs are such blessings. thank-you for giving missy a forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suanne, I'm so very sorry about Missy, she was such a love. Poor ol' gal.

    I'm thinking of you and John all the time. Glad for the news on his forehead.

    All my love,
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suanne. Just reading this, I am so sorry for your loss of your dear dog. She looks amazingly like my Casey, who chose me the same way. I too was looking for a smaller dog with much less hair. But we got the right dogs for us. I hope you are finding comfort, knowing that you gave her a wonderful life full of love. Sending good thoughts for John's health and healing.

    ReplyDelete